A super simple creamy pasta sauce – what’s not to like. This pasta dish celebrates spring and summer with a wonderful array of greens. This dish uses oat cream, which you can buy from most large supermarkets in the UK. If you don’t have access to oat cream, you can make a simple roux by reducing 350ml of oat milk with 2 tablespoons of flour and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
When To Eat
This dish is suited to spring/summer months. However, if you are eating outside of these months try switching out the greens for something more seasonal. I like to use cavolo nero cabbage and spinach in the winter months.
Creamy Dairy-Free Mushroom And Watercress Pasta
This meal is around 87% less polluting than the average UK meal.
Eating this recipe will save around 2.57 KG CO2e per person.
That’s equivalent to the emissions produced driving 21.22 KM in a modern car.How do I calculate this?
- 300 g Pasta
- 250 g Peas
- 50 g Watercress (roughly torn or chopped)
- 15 g Tarragon (finely chopped)
- 15 g Dill (finely chopped)
- 1/2 Medium Lemon (juiced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 125 g Shiitake Mushrooms (roughly torn or chopped)
- 3 Medium Banana Shallots (finely sliced)
- 200 ml Oat Cream
- 180 ml White Wine
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Place you pasta in a deep saucepan and cover with salted water. Bring to boil and cook until aldente as per the packet instructions. Drain and reserve.
- Whilst your pasta is cooking heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Toss in the shallots and garlic and fry until the shallots are see-through.
- Add the mushrooms and the white wine tot the pan and increase the heat. Reduce the wine until it just coats the pan and the mushrooms have taken a little colour.
- Pour the oat cream, lemon juice, mustard powder and nutritional yeast into the pan. Mix well to combine, then reduce the heat to a simmer and tip in the peas. Cook until the peas have just heated through – about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the chopped herbs to the sauce and season to taste. Then tip in the pasta and watercress. Toss the sauce with the pasta and watercress until evenly combined. Serve immediately.