Who needs summers in Spain when you can make a tortilla this good and packed full of fresh summery flavours? The fresh pop of the beans and peas in this tortilla provide a nice contrast to the silky onions and soft potatoes.
When to eat
I recommend eating this dish from July until September.
This meal is around 97% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.86 KG CO2e per person.
- That’s equivalent to the emissions produced driving 23.66 KM in a modern car.
- 80 g Chickpea Flour
- 0.25 Teaspoon Bicarbonate Of Soda
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion
- 100 g New Potato
- 70 g Broad Beans (podded)
- 40 g Runner Beans
- 50 g Fresh Peas (podded)
- 6 g Dill
- 0.5 Teaspoon Kala Namal
- Make your tortilla batter by whisking the flour, bicarb and salt to combine, leaving a well in the middle. Add the oil and 120 ml of water, whisking to make a smooth batter.
- Next, heat a few glugs of olive oil in small (15-20 cm) non-stick, heavy bottomed frying pan add the onions and potatoes and cook on a medium heat for about 10 minutes until both are soft and the potatoes just being to break apart. Add a few splashes of water to help these along. Remove these from the pan and add it to the bowl of batter.
- Add another glug of oil and toss in the veg cook for 2 -3 minutes just as they start to go bright green remove from the pan and add to the bowl of batter along with the rest of the peas and beans.
- Add the chopped dill, reserving some for the top and kala namak (if using) to the batter and mix.
- In the same frying pan, use a cloth to rub the remaining oil (add more if needed) over the base and sides of the pan and pour in the batter.
- Cook the tortilla for 6-8 minutes on a medium heat. When the top starts too look cooked, flip the tortilla over (you can do this by placing a large plate on top of the pan (face down) and flip the pan whilst holding onto the plate, then sliding the tortilla from the plant and back into the pan).
- When both sides are golden and turn out onto a plate for serving. Serve hot or cold with a salad and a side of plant-based aioli or mayo for dipping!