There's something wonderfully enjoyable about a crispy rosti. Feel free to swap the beetroot for parsnip, celeriac or squash depending on what's left in the fridge.
When To Eat
We recommend eating this dish from November to Mid February. Chicory is at it's best from January to March. Beetroot can be eaten from July until as late as March. However the main UK stock start to get thin around February.
|Dry Cannellini Beans||225g|
|Red Onion||1 Small|
|Lemon||1/2 A Fruit|
|Mustard Powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Sourdough Bread||8 Slices|
|Olive Oil||4 Tablespoons|
|Sunflower Oil||2 Tablespoons|
|Rosemary leaves (dry or fresh)||2 Tablespoons|
This meal is around 80% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.36 KG CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 19.5 KM in a modern car.
- Cook the Cannellini as per the instructions given on the packet. Note: different varieties may require soaking overnight. Once cooked leave to cool and reserve until later.
- Quarter the potatoes and put in a pan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and cool the potatoes.
- Coarsely grate the beetroot, potatoes, and 1 white onion into a large bowl. Mash garlic into a fine paste using the back of a knife, then add it to the bowls. Season and sprinkle over the flour and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 190°C 5. Shape the veg mix into four burger-sized patties. They should hold together well, but add a bit more flour if not. Heat a tablespoon of sunflower oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the röstis until golden brown on each side.
- Transfer to a baking tray and finish cooking in the oven for 15 minutes, until crisp and cooked through.
- Finely slice the chicory and dice the red onion. Add both to a large mixing bowl with the cooked Cannellini beans.
- Mix the 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the rosemary and the juice and zest of the lemon. Pour over the beans, season with salt and pepper, then mix well. Leave to stand for at least 10 minutes.
- Take the sourdough and brush each slice with a little of the remaining olive oil (1 Tablespoon). Then grill for around 5 minutes until the top begins to brown.
- Serve the dish with the sourdough still warm and crisp from the oven. Allow one rosti and two slices of bread per person. Divide the salsa evenly. Then spoon the mixture over the bread and rosti.