I'm sure you're used to those bland boring dhal recipes that just taste like wet lentils. Well NO MORE, this banging Caribbean spiced spinach dhal is packed full of flavour.
Unlike a traditional curry spice adding a blend Caribbean inspired spices to the dhal makes it sweeter and more fragrant. I'm in love with how this tastes - coconutty, savoury, sweet and spicy all rolled into one.
I've added a dollop of coconut yoghurt to mellow out some of the spice and provide a creamy balance to the dhal. It is divine.
The best thing about this dish is it's super versatile, you can have it on its own as a main, as a side or as the base of a separate dish. I like to roast squash in curry powder then dunk it in a bed of this dhal and serve on a huge platter at dinner parties. It goes down a treat.
When To Eat
Spinach is a ferocious spring crop and the best Spinach is available from March to June.
|Green Lentils (Puy/French style)||200 g|
|Coconut Milk||1 400ml Can|
|Spring Onions||2 Onions|
|Vegetable Stock||250 ml|
|Cinnamon||1/2 a Teaspoon|
|Cayenne Pepper||1/2 a Teaspoon|
|Smoked Paprika||2 Teaspoons|
|Mustard Powder||2 Teaspoons|
|Sunflower Oil||2 Tablepoons|
This meal is around 91% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.68 KG CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 22.16 KM in a modern car.
- Roughly peel and chop the garlic, ginger and onion. Then blend into a rough paste using a food processor.
- Heat the sunflower oil into a medium sauce pan and heat over a medium heat. Tip in the onion paste and fry for 3 - 5 minutes or until the paste has begin to take on a little colour.
- Toss in all the spices - allspice, turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, mustard powder and sugar. Stir into the onion paste until evenly combined and cook for a few minutes.
- Pour in the green lentils, coconut milk and stock and bring the pan to the boil. Cover and turn down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are soft. (If you are using thinner asian style green lentils you can reduce the cooking time considerably, the lentils should be done after about 15 - 20 minutes).
- When your lentils have cooked, take your pan off the heat and season to taste. Then stir in the spinach. With some mixing the leaves should wilt and combine with the lentils.
- Serve the dhal with the spring onions, chopped and sprinkled over the top. I like to finish the soup by adding a little coconut or soya yoghurt to the finished dish.