Tabbouleh is a delightful middle eastern dish normally made with bulgur wheat and herbs. Here I’ve substituted the bulgur for cauliflower to give an added vitamin boost and reduce the carb load a little.
When To Eat
I recommend eating this dish from June to October.
Each of our recipes comes with carbon emissions numbers for the base ingredients. If you’re unsure why this is the case, checkout out the about page to find out more.
|Spring Onions||50 g||0.009|
|Cauliflower||1 Medium Head||0.324|
|Olive Oil||1 Tablespoon||0.071|
|Broccoli||1 Medium Head||0.672|
|Fennel Seeds||2 Teaspoon||0.032|
|Olive Oil||2 Tablespoon||0.141|
|Pine Nuts||40 g||0.039|
|Sun Dried Tomatoes||6 Tomato||0.426|
|Olive Oil||4 Tablespoon||0.281|
This meal is around 82% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.42 kg CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 20km in a modern car.
- Place the sun dried tomatoes in a jar with 100 ml of water. Leave to soak for at least 5 minutes.
- Whilst the tomatoes are resting, roughly chop the cauliflower then blend to a fine breadcrumb in a large blender. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan, tip in the blended cauliflower, cover and fry for about 3 - 5 minutes until the cauliflower has softened. Drain and allow to cool in a large mixing bowl.
- Break the broccoli into individual florets and halve lengthways. Chop the garlic cloves and toss with the broccoli and 2 tablespoons of olive oil, some salt and the fennel seeds. Place on an oven tray and roast for 15 minutes at 200˚c.
- Once the tomatoes have sat for enough time. Place them, and the water in a blender along with the 4 tablespoons of olive oil and juice from the lemon. Blend till smooth, add more water or lemon juice if the dressing seems too thick. Season to taste.
- Finely chop all of the herbs and spring onions. Once the cauliflower has sufficiently cooled, mix the herbs and onions into the the rice. Plate the salad on individual bowls, heaping the roast broccoli on top, and drizzling the dressing over the dish. Sprinkle a few pine nuts over each dish.