Charred cabbage is one of my new favourite things, I’m obsessed. Charring adds a full umami flavour to the vegetable, making it exceptionally savoury.
When To Eat
I recommend eating this dish from July to December.
Each of our recipes comes with carbon emissions numbers for the base ingredients. If you’re unsure why this is the case, checkout out the about page to find out more.
|Pointed Cabbage (aprox 500g, cut into quarters)||1 Small||0.1|
|Lemon (cut in half)||1 Lemon||0.03|
|Hazelnuts (lightly crushed)||40 g||0.07|
|Maple Syrup||1.5 Tablespoon||0|
|Butter Beans||200 g||0.07|
|Garlic (minced)||1 Clove||0|
|Olive Oil||2 Tablespoon||0.12|
|Dijon Mustard||1 Tablespoon||0.024|
This meal is around 89% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.62 kg CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 21.67km in a modern car.
- Preheat the oven to 220C (fan)/200C (gas mark 7).
- Place the cabbage and the lemon on a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Cook for 20 minutes, turning halfway through. You want the outer leaves and edges to char and the inside to soften.
- While the cabbage is roasting, toast the crushed hazelnuts in a frying pan on top of the hob. When the nuts are golden, add the tbsp of maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt and stir it through the nuts. Allow this bubble for a minute or 2 until the syrup has reduced and the nuts have a sticky coating. Pour these out onto a small plate to cool.
- Next, heat the beans, tahini, garlic, olive oil and a 2 tbsp of water in a small saucepan mashing the beans as they heat. Set aside.
- When the cabbage has cooked, remove one half of the lemon and squeeze it into the beans. You can choose to leave the beans slightly chunky or puree them in a blender. Once you have the desired consistency, taste and season with salt & pepper, then stir through ¾ of the chopped coriander.
- Squeeze the remaining lemon into a small bowl and mix with the mustard, the remaining tsp of maple syrup and a glug of olive oil
- To plate, smooth a big dollop of beans on the plate , top with two cabbage wedges, candied nuts and a drizzle of the lemon & mustard dressing and garnish with the remaining chopped coriander.