Fritters without eggs can be tough. Chickpeas provide an excellent base to keep the patties together and give a good texture. These salty fried goodies go perfectly with the cooling tzatziki mint.
When To Eat
I would recommend eating this dish from April to September.
|White Pitta||4 Pitta|
|Sunflower Oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Soya Yoghurt||250 g|
|Cooked Chickpea||500 g|
|Spring Onion||100 g|
This meal is around 74% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.18 KG CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 18 KM in a modern car.
- First make the tzatziki. Peel and grate the cucumber into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle a teaspoon of salt over the gratings and leave to rest for 5 minutes. Then, a handful at a time, squeeze the moisture out of the cucumber and place in a separate bowl. Mince 2 cloves of the garlic and finely chop the dill and mint. Reserve about 10 g of the mint for garnish and put the rest along with the dill, minced garlic and soy yoghurt into the bowl with the cucumber. Mix well and season with salt, pepper and a squeeze of the juice of the lemon. Reserve for later in the fridge or a cool spot.
- Place the chickpeas, flour, paprika, garlic cloves and a squeeze of the lemon juice into a blender. Whiz until the ingredients are evenly combined and the consistency is a thick paste. Finely slice the spring onions and add to the blender with the chickpeas. Pulse the blender until the spring onions are mixed with the chickpeas, but not so long that they are minced or shredded.
- Heat the sunflower oil a shallow frying pan over a medium-high heat. Shape the chickpea paste into 8 individual patties with your hands. Be careful the paste will be very sticky, so avoid handling excessively, don't worry if the patties aren't evenly shaped, you can pat them down in the pan later. Add the patties to the hot oil and fry for 4 - 5 minutes each side, until the outside has received a good amount of colour. Remove the patties from the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the patties with two patties on a large white pitta covered with the tzatziki, sprinkled with the reserved mint from earlier.