This twist on classic baked beans on toast will warm and delight on a lazy evening. Use whatever bean variety you like for the baked beans. We personally love hodmedodd’s British fava beans.
When To Eat
We recommend eating this dish from June through to Early December. This is when you will get the best of the UK fennel.
Each of our recipes comes with carbon emissions numbers for the base ingredients. If you’re unsure why this is the case, checkout out the about page to find out more.
|Tomato||4 Medium fresh if in season. 1 can chopped tomatoes if not.||1.68|
|Beans||150g if dried or 1 400g can if not.||0.495|
|Tomato Paste||1 Tablespoon||0.084|
|Olive Oil||1 Tablespoon||0.0702|
For the Potato Farls see ingredient list and method here it adds an additional 0.40 kg CO2e to the ingredients total.
This meal is around 75% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.2 kg CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 18km in a modern car.
- If using dried beans be sure to soak the beans for the correct amount of time. Be sure to check the packet for instructions. Then pre-cook the beans for around 3⁄4 of their required time.
- If using fresh tomatoes. Criss-cross the bottom of the tomatoes with a sharp knife. Then place in a bowl of boiled water until the skins begin to peel. Remove and place in cold water until they have cooled enough to handle. Then peel skins from the tomatoes and chop finely.
- Thinly slice the fennel and onion, crush the garlic with the back of a knife to a fine paste.
- Add the olive oil to a pan over a medium heat. Then fry the garlic for around a minute before adding the onion and fennel. Cook until the fennel and onion are see-through and soft.
- Add the paprika to the pan, mix with the onion and fennel, and cook for around a minute. Then add the tomato paste and cook for a further minute.
- Add the beans then the tomatoes to the pan and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and let the sauce thicken for around 15 minutes.
- Whilst the sauce is thickening prepare the farls following this recipe.
- Allow two farls per person. Drizzle a generous heap of beans on the still hot farls.