There's nothing more British then enjoying a tin of hot baked beans looking out on the grey drizzle of the morning. I love baked beans, and they're packed full of great nutrients and protein. Here's my take on the British classic. This home made version is rich and sumptuous. The added molasses gives a wonderful thickness to the sauce which is perfect for heaping over toast in the morning. But let's be honest, you're going to be enjoying these for much more than breakfast. I'm not judging, I just polished off my second helping for the day!
When To Eat
This recipe can be enjoyed year round. The British season for onions & shallots run from July to September, but ease of storage makes them widely available out of season.
|Balsamic Vinegar||1/2 Tablespoon|
|Brown Sugar||2 Tablespoons|
|Tomato Paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried Thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried Oregano||2 Teaspoons|
|Soy Sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Tomato Passata||200 g|
|Banana Shallots||4 Shallots|
|Cooked Cannelini Beans||500 g (2 400g tins drained)|
|Olive Oil||2 Tablespoons|
This meal is around 94% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.77 KG CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 22.92 KM in a modern car.
- Finely peel and chop the banana shallots. Mash your garlic to a paste using the back of a knife or a garlic press.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep pan over a low-medium heat and toss in your onion and garlic. Fry gently for 5 minutes our until your shallots are soft and see-through.
- Add your thyme and garlic and fry for a few minutes more. Then increase the heat of the pan and tip in your beans, molasses, vinegar, sugar, tomato paste and soy sauce. Stir to coat your beans in the tomato mixture. The pour in the passata, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes your sauce should be thick and dark, if the sauce is too thick you can add a little water to loosen. Season the beans to taste.
- Serve you beans with rations of toast and margarine. If you want to make your beans a little fancier you can top the beans with chopped chives or spring onions.