Grilled courgettes are one of my favourite summer treats. However, most of us aren’t fortunate to have a barbecue to hand. If you don’t have access to one, don’t worry. I fake “grilling” them by simply slicing thin and roasting in the oven. It gives the same blackened outside as a grilling on the barbie would do.
When To Eat
I recommend eating this dish from July to September, when British courgettes are in season.
Each of our recipes comes with carbon emissions numbers for the base ingredients. If you’re unsure why this is the case, checkout out the about page to find out more.
|Green Lentils||300 g||0.309|
|Olive Oil||4 Tablespoon||0.281|
|Red Pepper||2 Medium||0.198|
|Tomato Paste||2 Tablespoon||0.094|
|Ground Ginger||2 Teaspoon||0.016|
This meal is around 88% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.6 kg CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 21.51km in a modern car.
- Cook the lentils first. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add the lentils. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Whilst the lentils are cooking blend the sauce. Roughly chop the peppers (removing stalk and seeds), onion and garlic. Then place the chopped veg along with the rest of the sauce ingredients and some seasoning into a blender. Whiz until the sauce is an even consistency. Reserve until the lentils are cooked.
- Once the lentils are about 10 minutes into cooking. Slice the courgettes lengthways into 1 cm thick long strips. Place on an oven tray and cover with the olive oil. Season heavily with salt and pepper and place in a 200˚c oven for about 10 minutes until the courgettes have softened and are blackening on the outside. Remove and cover with a pan lid to keep the heat in the courgettes.
- When the lentils have cooked, drain them then add back to the pan and stir in the sauce. Cook them on a low heat for about 5 minutes. Chop the parsley and tip into the lentils, mix to combine. Plate the lentils and place a few of the grilled courgette strips on top of each dish.