This dish is a winner for trying times. It's super quick to make and uses only store cupboard ingredients. Perfect for when you're staying home and don't want a trip to the shops.
Canned chickpeas and tomatoes are a revelation. Mashing the chickpeas lightly with a fork or potato masher creates a lovely crumbly texture. Cooking the pasta in the sauce creates a wonderful thick broth, as the pasta imparts its starch. If you can't tell, I love this recipe!Try this dish, you won't be disappointed. It's kid friendly as well. So stay home, no need to buy complicated ingredients at the crowded supermarket. It give you more time for eating anyway!
When To Eat
You can enjoy this pasta dish year round, it's designed to work with store cupboard ingredients.
Each of our recipes comes with carbon emissions numbers for the base ingredients. If you’re unsure why this is the case, checkout out the about page to find out more.
|Chilli Flakes||1 Teaspoon||0.008|
|Chickpeas||1 400 g can||0.185|
|Tomato Paste||1 Tablespoon||0.047|
|Chopped Tomatoes||1 400g can||0.223|
|Vegetable Stock||500 ml||0.292|
|Olive Oil||2 Tablespoons||0.141|
This meal is around 78% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.30 CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 18.97km in a modern car.
- First peel and finely dice your onion and garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottom saucepan over a medium heat and add the chilli flakes and paprika. Toast the flakes for a few minutes before tipping in the onion. Fry for 3-5 minutes until soft. Then add the chopped garlic and oregano and fry for a few minutes more.
- Pour in the chickpeas and lightly crush 2/3rds of the chickpeas using a potato masher or fork. Then add the tomato puree and stir the pan to combine all the ingredients into a crumbly chickpea-tomato paste. Tip in the chopped tomatoes bring to the boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 2 -3 minutes stirring often.
- Add the pasta to the tomato sauce and pour over the stock. Simmer the pan for 15 minutes or until the pasta is aldente and the sauce has thickened. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve the pasta with chopped parsley sprinkled over the top.