This is an incredibly simple and filling salad. It is designed to be served warm, but works just as well cold. If you want to make it more substantial - toss the vegetables with 5 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds.
When To Eat
We recommend eating this recipe from late August to the beginning of March. The main crop beetroot in the UK comes in during the summer months, but because of their ease of storage they can be enjoyed into the winter.
Each of our recipes comes with carbon emissions numbers for the base ingredients. If you’re unsure why this is the case, checkout out the about page to find out more.
|Dark Green Cabbage (Kale, Cavolo Nero)||200g||0.1|
|Cumin Seeds||1 Tablespoons||0.0208|
|Olive Oil||4 Tablespoons||0.2808|
|Vegetable Stock||500 ml||0.291|
This meal is around 81% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.38 KG CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 19.71 KM in a modern car.
- Slice the beetroot and carrot into 1 cm thick pieces. Place the beetroot and carrots on an oven tray and cover with the olive oil, salt, cumin and finely chopped garlic. Mix well then place in a 250˚c oven for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are starting to crisp.
- Whilst the vegetables are cooking, prepare the lentils. Place in a pan, cover with the stock, and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook for around 20 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked with a little bite. Don't be tempted to overdo them - you'll end up with a mushy salad.
- When the roasted vegetables are done, remove from the oven. Zest and juice the lemon. Drain the lentils and pour them into the oven tray along with half the juice of the lemon. Mix well to combine. Return the tray to the oven for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Roughly slice the cabbage and boil for 3-5 minutes until just tender. Then remove the roast veg from the oven. Add the cabbage and lemon zest to the tray. Toss to achieve an even spread of the cabbage and zest.
- Drizzle the rest of the lemon juice on top if desired. Serve immediately.