December is right in the heart of the British sprout season. Though sprouts only tend to grace British plates during the christmas festivities. Sprouts are a wonderfully satisfying vegetable with a delicious, fresh, green flavour. This quick and delightful risotto will show you that cooked properly brussels can be enjoyed in a multitude of dishes.
When To Eat
We recommend eating this dish from December to February when sprouts are at their best.
|Risotto Rice||175g (around 1 cups worth)|
|Cooked Whole Chestnuts||120g|
|Brussel Sprouts||150g (around 14)|
|Olive Oil||1 Tablespoons|
This meal is around 71% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.09 KG CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 17 KM in a modern car.
- Finely dice the shallots and celery sticks. Cut the hard bottoms off the brussels and remove first layer of leaves from the sprout. Chop the brussles into 4-5 slices each, the slices should be about half a center meter thick. Crush the garlic with the back of a knife into a fine paste.
- Heat the olive oil in a shallow pan over a medium heat. Add the crushed garlic. Cook for around 1 minute and then add the shallots and celery. Cook until soft. Finally add the sprouts into the mixture and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add risotto rice to the pan and mix well into the vegetable mixture. Allow to cook for another minute or so.
- Pour the wine into the pan and increase the heat. Cook until the wine barely coats the bottom of the pan. Keep stirring or the mixture will begin to stick.
- Turn the heat of the pan down to medium again and add a little of the stock. Barely enough to cover the rice. Stir intermittently until the stock has been absorbed, then add more stock. Continue this process for around 25-30 minutes until the stock has been fully used and the rice is soft with a bite.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, roughly slice the chestnuts. Salt and add to a pan on a high heat with little or no oil. Cook until the outsides begin to brown. Remove and reserve.
- Serve risotto in generous bowls with chestnuts sprinkled over the top of the rice.