Looking for a vegan alternative to the mighty mcdonalds breakfast mcmuffin, here it is.
These wonderful vegan breakfast muffins have it all - crispy tempeh bacon, fluffy baked scrambled tofu and soft toasted muffins. I like to finish them off smothered with a dab of tomato sauce and a few crunchy lettuce leaves.
Baking the scrambled tofu is my secret technique to get perfectly muffin sized tofu. Find a ramekin just about the same size as your muffin and stuff it full with a good portion of mashed tofu. Once baked it should come out in a nice compact circle that's perfect for dumping into your vegan breakfast muffins.
If you're struggling to get crisp tempeh bacon, I find the trick is to add a little more oil. One you've pre-fried your tempeh. Add the glaze then reduce. When it's nice and sticky, remove from the heat and allow to cool. Don't be tempted to eat straight away. Allowing the tempeh bacon to cool for a bit makes the sugar in the glaze more rigid, by waiting you'll have a crispier bacon.
I hope you enjoy these vegan breakfast muffins as much as I did.
When To Eat
Though you can enjoy this year round, lettuce is best in the late spring and early summer months.
|English Muffins||2 Muffins|
|Romaine Lettuce||4-6 Large Leaves|
|Spring Onions||2 Onions|
|Silken Tofu||300 g|
|Soy Sauce||2 Tablespoons|
|Maple Syrup||1 Tablespoon|
|Smoked Paprika||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Sunflower Oil||2 Tablespoons|
This meal is around 86% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.54 KG CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 20.99 KM in a modern car.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200˚c.
- Whisk the tofu with the turmeric, cumin and 1 tsp of salt, until it reaches a crumbly scrambled texture.
- Pour the scrambled tofu into two small ramekins, pressing the tofu to compact it into the ramekin shape. Place in the 200˚c oven and bake for 15 mins.
- Whilst the tofu is cooking, slice the tempeh into long and thin strips, about 1/2 a cm thick. In a small bowl mix together the soy sauce, maple syrup, smoked paprika and garlic powder.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan over a high heat. Toss in the tempeh strips, fry each side for 2-3 mins until the tempeh begins to take a little colour.
- Pour the soy sauce glaze mixture into the pan and evenly coat the tempeh. Reduce the glaze until the outside of the tempeh begins to blacken and brown. Take off the heat and allow the tempeh to rest so that the tempeh bacon glaze begins to harden.
- Cut the muffins in two, toast each side. Spread one side with tomato sauce or a condiment of choice. Tip the baked tofu onto one of the muffin sides and top with the tempeh bacon. Arrange a few leaves of lettuce and some chopped spring onions over the top, season with salt and pepper, then cover with the other muffin piece.