Swede glorious swede. It's one of poor root vegetables that nobody seems to know what to do with.
But swede is delicious when used in the right way. This flavoursome and hot soup is a great way to enjoy the mighty root vegetable.
Adding red lentils to the swede soup provides an added nutritional benefit, but it also helps to give the soup a "meatier" texture. You can also switch out these for ramen or rice noodles.
When To Eat
I recommend eating this soup from September to May, but you'll get the best of the carrots and swede in the late summer to early winter months.
Each of our recipes comes with carbon emissions numbers for the base ingredients. If you’re unsure why this is the case, checkout out the about page to find out more.
|Swede||1 Medium Swede (800g)||0.145|
|Carrot||2 Medium (300 g)||0.03|
|Fresh Coriander||20 g||0.016|
|Vegetable Stock||1 Litre||0.583|
|Ginger Powder||1 Teaspoon||0.036|
|Chilli Flakes||1 1/2 Teaspoons||0.021|
|Coriander Powder||1 Teaspoon||0.008|
|Cumin Powder||1 Teaspoon||0.008|
|Red Lentils||200 g||0.206|
|Sunflower Oil||1 Tablespoon||0.047|
|Soy Sauce||2 Tablespoons||0.035|
This meal is around 90% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.65 KG CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 21.90 KM in a modern car.
- Peel and finely chop both the onion and garlic. Then peel and dice the carrot and swede into rough 1 cm cubes.
- Heat the sunflower in a deep saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and fry for 3-5 minutes until the onion is soft. Tip in the spices - the coriander powder, cumin powder, ginger powder, chilli flakes and sugar. Stir the contents to evenly cover the onion.
- Add the swede and carrot to the pan, then pour in the stock and soy sauce. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the swede and carrot are soft.
- Once the swede and carrot are cooked, blend the soup using a stick blender. Tip in the red lentils, cover again, and simmer for a further 10 minutes, until the lentils are cooked. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup individual bowls with the chopped fresh coriander and any remaining chilli flakes sprinkled over each.