A wonderfully refreshing and light soup. The flavours are similar to that a green curry, but more refined and with less heat.
When To Eat
I recommend eating this dish from June to September.
Each of our recipes comes with carbon emissions numbers for the base ingredients. If you’re unsure why this is the case, checkout out the about page to find out more.
|Yellow Onion (peeled & roughly chopped)||1 Small||0.017|
|Garlic (peeled & sliced)||3 Cloves||0.009|
|Ginger (roughly chopped)||20 g||0.018|
|Green Chilli (de-seeded)||1 Chilli||0.004|
|Thai Basil||1 Small Bunch||0.012|
|Coriander||1 Small Bunch||0.012|
|Lime (zest & juice)||1 Lime||0.026|
|Olive Oil||2 Tablespoons||0.141|
|Vegetable Stock||400 ml||0.234|
|Shelled Peas||160 g||0.061|
|Baby Gem Lettuce (roots & cores removed, leaves sliced)||200 g||0.076|
|Coconut Cream||120 ml||0.252|
|Peanuts (toasted and finely crushed)||25 g||0.021|
This meal is around 84% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.47 kg CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 20.43km in a modern car.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, ½ of green chilli, basil, tarragon and coriander and lime zest to small blender jug and blitz until it forms a smooth paste. Alternatively, you can pound this into a pesto-like consistency using a pestle and mortar.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the paste and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, this should take about 5 minutes.
- Next add the stock and the peas and simmer for 2-3 minutes before adding the lettuce. Allow this to cook for another 2-3 minutes before blending until smooth.
- Add 120 ml of the coconut cream and a squeeze of lime juice, salt & pepper to taste.
- Either transfer the soup back to the pan to keep warm or let it cool, pop it in the fridge and chill until ready to serve. If serving chilled check the seasoning before serving.
- Garnish with the remaining chilli, finely diced,toasted peanuts and a drizzle of oil. A large lime wedge with lime squeezed to serve lifted it nicely.