Spinach is often one of those leaves that are boiled into a smattering lump of green, yet it offers an amazing spicy and fresh flavour raw. In this punchy and crisp salad the tahini and allspice accentuate the wonderful freshness of the spinach.
When To Eat
I recommend eating this salad from late April to October. Spinach and rocket are widely available during that time of year.
Each of our recipes comes with carbon emissions numbers for the base ingredients. If you’re unsure why this is the case, checkout out the about page to find out more.
|Giant Couscous||200 g||0.326|
|Red Chilli||1 Chilli||0.02|
|Ground Allspice||1 Teaspoon||0.008|
|Olive Oil||3 Tablespoon||0.211|
This meal is around 93% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.74 kg CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 22.63km in a modern car.
- Prepare the couscous, place in a medium sized pan and cover with salted water. Bring to the boil and simmer for around 10 - 15 minutes until the couscous is aldente. Drain and rinse with cold water. Reserve for later.
- Juice the lemon and pour the liquid along with the rest of the dressing ingredients for the dressing, save the chilli, into a small blender and whiz until the dressing has a smooth consistency. Finely slice the chilli and spoon into the dressing. Stir the mixture to combine the chilli into the dressing.
- Roughly slice the spinach and parsley and combine with the wild rocket and cooled couscous in a deep mixing bow. Pour over the dressing, season with salt and pepper, and toss the salad well, incorporating the dressing evenly.
- Serve immediately with any leftover parsley sprinkled over the top to garnish.