Broccoli in stir fry is something that is criminally under-used. Broccoli provides an excellent bite to a vegetable stir fry and gives much needed texture. In this dish it helps bring balance the sticky sweet black bean sauce - long live broccoli!
When To Eat
I recommend eating this dish from March till August.
Each of our recipes comes with carbon emissions numbers for the base ingredients. If you’re unsure why this is the case, checkout out the about page to find out more.
|Purple Sprouting Broccoli||200 g||0.12|
|Cooked Black Beans||200 g||0.086|
|Dark Brown Sugar||45 g||0.005|
|Soya Sauce||2 Tablespoons||0.063|
|Chinese Five Spice||1 Teaspoon||0.008|
|Rice Wine Vinegar||2 Tablespoons||0.063|
|Red Chilli||1 Chilli||0.096|
|Sunflower Oil||2 Tablespoons||0.094|
|Spring Onions||2 Onions||0.017|
|Rice Noodles||300 g||0.489|
This meal is around 89% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.62 kg CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 21.69km in a modern car.
- Cook the rice noodles in a pot of boiling water for around 3 - 5 minutes until the noodles are soft. Drain and reserve. Mix a tablespoon of oil with the noodles if you are worried about them sticking.
- Add half the black beans, garlic, soya sauce, Chinese five spice, sugar, and vinegar to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Finely slice the shallots and spring onion. De-seed and slice the red chilli. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the shallots and spring onion. Fry for a few minutes before adding the chilli. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes until the shallots have softened. Roughly chop the purple sprouting broccoli and tip into the pan. Pour over 50 ml of water and increase the heat of the pan. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes until the water has completely evaporated and the broccoli is soft and is taking some colour on the exterior.
- When the broccoli has cooked, reduce the pan heat and add the blended sauce and remaining black beans. Simmer the sauce for a minute or so before adding the cooked rice noodles and mixing well to combine all the ingredients.
- Serve the stir fry with the peanuts chopped and sprinkled over the top of each bowl.