A pasta packed with a nutritional punch. This dish is loaded with healthy greens and tastes amazing.
Stuffing green veggies into spaghetti isn't just a gimick. This pasta is one of my favourites at the moment. It's loaded with seasonal stars like green cabbage and purple sprouting broccoli. So not only is it delicious & healthy, it's an amazing recipe to use to enjoy the best of the spring produce.
Feel free to experiment with other green leafy vegetables in the pesto base. I've had success in the past with courgette and green beans.
Green pasta for always!
When To Eat
This is a truly spring pasta. Enjoy from March to May.
Each of our recipes comes with carbon emissions numbers for the base ingredients. If you’re unsure why this is the case, checkout out the about page to find out more.
|Lemon||1/2 Lemon (Juiced)||0.013|
|Kale/Cavolo Nero||300 g||0.15|
|Green Cabbage||300 g||0.15|
|Purple Sprouting Broccoli||300 g||0.18|
|Pine Nuts||20 g (Lightly toasted)||0.02|
|Cooked Cannelini Beans (1 400ml can)||250 g (1 400g can)||0.098|
This meal is around 91% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.69 CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 22.22km in a modern car.
- Prepare the pesto following the recipe here.">here.">
- Remove the stalks from the kale and roughly chop. Blanch for until just wilted in a pot of salted boiling water. Drain and squeeze as much water from the leaves as you can. Once cooled combine the kale, pesto and lemon juice in a food processor and blitz until the kale is incorporated.
- Slice the green cabbage into fine ribbons and steam with the broccoli for about 3 minutes until the broccoli is aldente. Drain and reserve.
- Cook the spaghetti to packet instructions in a pan of heavily salted water. Once the pasta is cooked, drain, reserving a little of the pasta water.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the spaghetti, beans and pesto. Mix well to evenly spread the sauce, then add a little of the pasta water to loosen the pesto. Gradually fold the cabbage into the pasta, and then the broccoli, turning until the greens are evenly distributed.
- Plate the pasta with some toasted pine nuts sprinkled over the top.