I love brown rice salads, they add a wonderful nutty bite and help to add fibre and volume to fresh leaves. This fresh and bright salad is incredibly easy and quick to make, and can help you use up any past their best herbs.
When to eat
I recommend eating this dish from May to September.
Brown Rice and Herb Salad With Pomegranate and Lemon
This meal is around 84% less polluting than the average UK meal.
Eating this recipe will save around 2.47 KG CO2e per person.
That’s equivalent to the emissions produced driving 20.47 KM in a modern car.How do I calculate this?
- 1 Large Cucumber
- 300 g Brown Rice
- 30 g Dill
- 30 g Parsley
- 30 g Mint
- 130 g Pomegranate Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Pomegranate Molasses
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon
- 200 ml Soya Yoghurt
- First, cook the rice. Place the rice in a saucepan and simmer for about 20 minutes until tender. Drain and allow to cool.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, grate the cucumber into a large bowl and season with a little salt. Allow the cucumber to sit for about 5 minutes before squeezing out the excess moisture from the gratings with your hands. Return the squeezed cucumber to the bowl.
- Finely chop all the herbs and add to the bowl alongside the cucumber. Tip in the pomegranate seeds, cooked rice and yoghurt and mix well.
- Now make your dressing. Zest and juice the lemon into a small bowl. Pour in pomegranate molasses, olive oil, sugar and some seasoning and whisk well with a fork.
- Pour the dressing over the rice mixture, toss again to ensure even coverage, and serve.