A winter take on classic pesto. Blending the cooked chestnuts with the Cavolo Nero produces an incredibly smooth pesto. If you are struggling to find or source the Cavolo Nero regular Kale will do just fine.
When to eat
We recommend eating this dish from October to early February. This is when Cavolo Nero and Chestnuts are both in season in the UK.
This meal is around 90% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.67 KG CO2e per person.
- That’s equivalent to the emissions produced driving 22.07 KM in a modern car.
- 85 g Cavolo Nero Cabbage (de-stemmed and chopped)
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 90 ml Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon
- 100 g Cooked Chestnuts
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- Steam the cabbage for 2 mins. Leave to cool and squeeze out all the excess moisture.
- Zest and juice the lemon and pour into a small blender. Add the chestnuts, garlic, cooked cabbage and nutritional yeast. Slowly add the olive oil whilst the processor is running. Blend until the pesto turns smooth.
- Season to taste.