This warming and healthy seasonal salad is packed full of nutrients. The quinoa with the toasted oats give a luxurious nutty flavour. We’ve used Merchant Gourmet’s British Quinoa so as to keep food miles to a minimum. You can find it [here](https://www.merchant-gourmet.com/products/product/british-quinoa-wholegrain-rice).
When to eat
We recommend eating this dish from December until February. This recipe uses of sprouts and cauliflower which are both at their best during british winter.
This meal is around 86% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.54 KG CO2e per person.
- That’s equivalent to the emissions produced driving 21 KM in a modern car.
- 1 Large Cauliflower
- 3 Medium Red Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 300 g Brussel Sprouts (topped and peeled )
- 2 Sticks Celery
- 1/2 Lemon
- 300 g Quinoa
- 50 g Oats (preferably jumbo)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- After topping and peeling the brussles slice each into two. Then halve the onions and thickly slice. Break the cauliflower into small florettes. Put the cauliflower, red onion, sprouts into a oven tray and mix with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, salt, and garlic (crushed). Place in a 200˚c oven for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the vegetables are roasting cook the quinoa. Cover with salted water and add the 2 sprigs of rosemary. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Take off the heat reserve in the pan with the lid off.
- When the veg has cooked for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and squeeze the juice of the lemon over the top of the vegetables. Place back in the oven for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Whilst the vegetables are taking their final roasting; cover a shallow tray with the oats and place in the oven roasting the veg. Toast for 10 minutes until the oats begin to brown and crisp. Remove and reserve.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven. Add the quinoa to the tray and mix with the vegetables. Allow to cool slightly, aproximately 3-5 minutes.
- Thinly slice the celery sticks. Spoon the quinoa mixture into bowls and cover with a decent helping of the celery and then the toasted oats. Drizzle with the remaining oil and season with salt and pepper.