This luscious pasta dish is one of my favourites. Roasting the red peppers in the oven gives the sauce a lovely smoky and rich flavour, which is balanced perfectly by the tart black olives.
When to eat
I recommend eating this dish from May till October. British capsicum peppers are in season during these months and have a beautifully fresh sweet flavour.
Roast Red Pepper Shells With Black Olives and Parsley
This meal is around 86% less polluting than the average UK meal.
Eating this recipe will save around 2.54 KG CO2e per person.
That’s equivalent to the emissions produced driving 21 KM in a modern car.How do I calculate this?
- 2 Red Pepper
- 4 Clove Garlic
- 3 Banana Shallot
- 350 ml Rice Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 30 g Parsley
- 50 g Black Olives
- 350 g Pasta Shells
Roast Red Pepper Sauce
- De-core and slice the red peppers down the sides so that you get large flat pieces. Add to a roasting pan and cover with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Place into the oven under a hot grill and grill for 10 – 15 minutes until the red pepper is soft and the outside is blackened.
- After the red peppers have finished roasting remove from the oven. Cook the pasta. Place the shells in a pan over a medium heat and cover with boiling water, salt heavily. Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until the shells are aldente.
- Finely chop the garlic and shallots, fry for about 4-5 minutes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until soft. Pour the cooked peppers, garlic, shallots, rice milk, nutritional yeast into a blender and whiz until smooth and even consistency.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chilli flakes and cook for a minute, until the oil starts to colour. Then add the flour and cook for a further minute. Stirring well to make sure the flour is well cooked through. Pour over the red pepper sauce and stir to combine. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer and keep warm until the pasta is ready.
- Remove and drain the pasta and pour into the sauce. Slice the olives and parsley and tip into the pan. Mix all the ingredients together and serve immediately.