Home made popcorn is one of the cheapest and easiest snacks around. There’s something so delightful about making popcorn. The sheer excitement of listening to the corn pop in the pan. The wonderment when the pot begins to overflow with fluffy white corn. I love sweet popcorn and am a sucker for crunchy exterior. So I decided to make a popcorn that’s a little different from your normal flavours. The baked orange glaze on this popcorn is amazing and an amazing way to use gluts of seasonal oranges.
When to eat
You can get oranges year round, but to get the best of the European crop I recommend eating this corn from January through to May.
This meal is around 95% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.80 KG CO2e per person.
- That’s equivalent to the emissions produced driving 23.17 KM in a modern car.
- 100 g Corn Kernels
- 1 Tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 40 g Vegan Butter
- 1 Large Orange (juiced)
- 1 Tablespoon Marmalade
- 60 ml Maple Syrup
- Preheat your oven to 200˚c.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, combine the sunflower oil and a few corn kernels. Cover the pot and wait for the kernels to pop, this will take around 2-3 minutes.
- When the kernels pop, pour in the remaining kernels. Cover the pot again, and shake to distribute the kernels evenly. Continue cooking the popcorn, shaking the pot occasionally to cook the kernels evenly.
- Continue cooking until the popping sound slows to about one pop per every few seconds. Then pour the popcorn into a large baking tray.
- Now make the orange glaze. Add all the glaze ingredients to a small saucepan and simmer over a medium heat. Reduce the mixture by half, until it is nice and thick and syrupy.
- Spoon the sauce over the popcorn and mix with your hands to evenly coat the popcorn in the glaze. Place the popcorn in your pre-heated oven and bake for 8 – 10 minutes until the outside of the corn begins to brown a little.
- Remove the popcorn from and allow to cool for 5 minutes. At this point the popcorn should be wonderfully crunchy and sweet.