A rich and salty aubergine and courgette pasta – what could be better? Well maybe the fact that this recipe is so quick and easy! Blend all the sun dried tomato sauce recipes in a blender, simmer for 15 – 20 minutes with your veggies and wham, it’s done. Glorious.
As well as pasta the aubergine and courgette sauce goes well with many other carbs – quinoa, bread, rice, it’s very versatile. Don’t have aubergine or courgette? No problem, just replace them with any other veggies you fancy, the sauce will do it’s magic and make them delicious.
When to eat
Aubergines and courgettes come into season around late June. That’s why I recommend eating this dish from June to September to get the best of the British season. Outside of those months you can substitute the aubergine and courgette for other seasonal vegetables. Try using squash and kale for a wintery take on this recipe.
This meal is around 80% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.36 KG CO2e per person.
- That’s equivalent to the emissions produced driving 19.58 KM in a modern car.
- 300 g Pasta
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Medium Onion
- 3 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Medium Courgette
- 2 Medium Aubergine
- 30 g Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon Crushed Chilli
Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
- 9 Sun Dried Tomato
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 Teaspoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 500 ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- First cook the pasta. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and pour in the pasta. Cook for 10 – 12 minutes, or until the pasta is aldente. Drain and reserve.
- Whilst your pasta is cooking prepare the ragu. Place all the sauce ingredients into a blender and whizz until smooth. Reserve.
- Peel and dice the onion and garlic, then chop the aubergine and courgette into 2 cm pieces. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and toss in the garlic and crushed chilli. Fry a couple minutes until the crushed chilli begins to colour the oil. Add the onions and sweat until they are see-through.
- Tip the diced aubergine and courgette into the pan, cover and sweat for 3 – 5 minutes, until the veggies begin to soften. Pour in the tomato sauce and stir to combine with the veggies. Bring the sauce to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes until the vegetables have fully softened and the sauce is thick and luscious.
- Once the ragu is ready, season to taste, then finely chop the parsley and fold into the sauce. Serve the ragu spooned over the pasta with more parsley and nutritional yeast sprinkled over the top.