A vegan roast that you can actually carve! This seitan roast is smoky, tender and full of flavour. It’s the perfect addition to any roast or festive occasion.
I used to think seitan was so complex to make at home – turns out I was completely wrong. Seitan is so easy to make and it tastes delicious. This seitan roast is a fool proof recipe for creating a wonderful roast that meat eaters and non-meat eaters will both enjoy.
This seitan is glorious with all the traditional roast trimmings – roasties, yorkshires, gravy… If you’re looking for an all encompassing recipe to help you make an epic feast check out my Sunday Roast With All The Trimmings. It’s got everything you need to make a perfect roast to entertain friends or family. You can switch out the roast cauliflower centrepiece from the Sunday roast recipe for this seitan, it works excellently.
Yet, the best thing about this seitan recipe is that it gets better the next day. Did someone say vegan seitan and sandwiches! If I have any roast seitan from the meal the night before, I’ll slice seitan then fry it in a little oil to give it a wonderfully crispy exterior. Crispy seitan between bread with a little vegan mayo, stuffing and cranberry jelly it’s the closest thing to enlightenment you might find!
The Ultimate Seitan Roast
This meal is around 96% less polluting than the average UK meal.
Eating this recipe will save around 2.81 KG CO2e per person.
That’s equivalent to the emissions produced driving 23.22 KM in a modern car.How do I calculate this?
- 125 g Cooked Chickpeas
- 4 Cloves Garlic (peeled)
- 1 Medium Onion (peeled and halved)
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Liquid Smoke (you can use marmite if you don't have liquid smoke)
- 260 g Vital Wheat Gluten
- 45 g Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Sage (finely chopped)
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme (stems removed and finely chopped)
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 340 ml Vegetable Stock
- Preheat your oven to 180˚c/350˚f (fan oven).
- Combine the chickpeas, garlic, onion, soy sauce, liquid smoke and olive oil in a food processor. Whizz into an even paste.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients: the wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, sage, thyme, paprika and cumin.
- Mix in the chickpea paste into the dry ingredients. Then pour over the vegetable stock and combine into a wet dough. Knead the dough in the bowl for 10 minutes until it becomes firmer and less wet.
- Roll the dough into a log about the thickness of a bunched fist. Wrap the log in grease proof baking paper and then tin foil. Place on a baking tray and put in the oven. Cook for 1 hour, turning the seitan onto the opposite side halfway through.
- Once baked remove the baking paper and foil. Use a sharp knife to slice into thick ovals. Serve with generous lashings of gravy.