Aubergine is one of those wonderful vegetables that offers amazing versatility. Roasting and pureeing the whole aubergine gives a thick and sumptuous puree that provides a silky base to any dish. Here the aubergine accents the nutty bulgar wheat and sweet cherries perfectly, providing a refreshing and nutritious dish.
When To Eat
I recommend eating this dish from June to September.
Each of our recipes comes with carbon emissions numbers for the base ingredients. If you’re unsure why this is the case, checkout out the about page to find out more.
|Coarse Bulgar Wheat||65 g||0.034|
|Red Onion (Diced)||1 Small||0.017|
|Cucumer (Diced)||100 g||0.023|
|Mint (Finely Chopped)||1 Small Bunch||0.008|
|Parsley (Finely Chopped)||1 Small Bunch||0.012|
|Tarragon (Finely Chopped)||3 Sprigs||0.004|
|Smoked Salt||0.25 Teaspoon||0.004|
|Lemon (Juiced)||1 Lemon||0.052|
This meal is around 87% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.58 kg CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 21.3km in a modern car.
- Preheat the grill and prick the aubergine a few times before placing on the rack and under the grill. Grill the aubergine for approximately 10 minutes rotating every 2 minutes to cook all sides.
- While the aubergine cooks, get on with your tabbouleh by first cooking your bulgar wheat. In a saucepan, add the bulgar wheat to 230ml of boiling water. Simmer for 6-8 minutes. When the water has cooked out, cover and let sit.
- Add the cherries, onion, cucumber, and herbs to a bowl and zest in the lemon. When cool, fluff the wheat with a fork and add it to the bowl. Squeeze in the juice from half the lemon along with a good glug of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to allow the flavours to develop.
- Next, cut the stem off the aubergine and add it (skin on) with smoked salt, tahini, garlic and remaining lemon juice to a blender and blitz until smooth. Taste and add more salt and pepper if you wish.
- To serve, spoon half of the puree onto a plate and top with the tabbouleh.