Who needs summers in Spain when you can make a tortilla this good and packed full of fresh summery flavours? The fresh pop of the beans and peas in this tortilla provide a nice contrast to the silky onions and soft potatoes.
When To Eat
I recommend eating this dish from July until September.
Each of our recipes comes with carbon emissions numbers for the base ingredients. If you’re unsure why this is the case, checkout out the about page to find out more.
|Chickpea Flour||80 g||0.062|
|Bicarbonate Of Soda||0.25 Teaspoon||0.005|
|Olive Oil||1 Tablespoon||0.006|
|New Potato||100 g||0.018|
|Broad Beans (podded)||70 g||0.078|
|Runner Beans||40 g||0.013|
|Fresh Peas (podded)||50 g||0.019|
|Kala Namal||0.5 Teaspoon||0.005|
This meal is around 97% less polluting than the average UK meal.
- Eating this recipe will save around 2.86 kg CO2e per person.
- That's equivalent to the emissions produced driving 23.66km in a modern car.
- Make your tortilla batter by whisking the flour, bicarb and salt to combine, leaving a well in the middle. Add the oil and 120 ml of water, whisking to make a smooth batter.
- Next, heat a few glugs of olive oil in small (15-20 cm) non-stick, heavy bottomed frying pan add the onions and potatoes and cook on a medium heat for about 10 minutes until both are soft and the potatoes just being to break apart. Add a few splashes of water to help these along. Remove these from the pan and add it to the bowl of batter.
- Add another glug of oil and toss in the veg cook for 2 -3 minutes just as they start to go bright green remove from the pan and add to the bowl of batter along with the rest of the peas and beans.
- Add the chopped dill, reserving some for the top and kala namak (if using) to the batter and mix.
- In the same frying pan, use a cloth to rub the remaining oil (add more if needed) over the base and sides of the pan and pour in the batter.
- Cook the tortilla for 6-8 minutes on a medium heat. When the top starts too look cooked, flip the tortilla over (you can do this by placing a large plate on top of the pan (face down) and flip the pan whilst holding onto the plate, then sliding the tortilla from the plant and back into the pan).
- When both sides are golden and turn out onto a plate for serving. Serve hot or cold with a salad and a side of plant-based aioli or mayo for dipping!