Simple Three Bean Chilli
This simple three bean chilli is sure to be a hit in any household. A smoky and flavourful plant-based dish perfect for cold nights and feeding a crowd.
Beans & chilli are a match made in heaven. This three bean chilli, has not one, not two, but three beans! That’s a lot of beans for you buck. Beans are healthy, beans are cheap and most of all beans are tasty. So why not add all the beans!
This recipe uses cannellini, red kidney and black beans, but feel free to mix and match whatever beans you have in the pantry.
Enjoyed this recipe and looking for something a bit more involved? My 1-Pot Squash Chilli is delightful!
Simple Three Bean Chilli
This meal is around 86% less polluting than the average UK meal.
Eating this recipe will save around 2.51 KG CO2e per person.
That’s equivalent to the emissions produced driving 20.78 KM in a modern car.How do I calculate this?
- 2 Medium Onion (peeled and finely diced)
- 4 Cloves Garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 (400g) Can Red Kidney Beans (drained)
- 1 (400g) Can Cannellini Bean (drained)
- 1 (400g) Can Black Beans (drained)
- 2 (400g) Cans Chopped Tomatoes
- 200 ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 Teaspoons Chipotle Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Chocolate Powder
- 1 Medium Lime (juiced)
- 10 g Coriander (finely chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Heat the the olive oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Toss in the onion and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Mix the chipotle paste, smoked paprika and chocolate powder into the cooking onions. Then pour in the chopped tomatoes, canned beans and vegetable stock. Stir the pan to evenly combine all the ingredients. Then bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the lime juice and chopped coriander. Season to taste.
February 17, 2022 at 6:58 pm
Only just discovered Lowly Foods Hugo .. and had a go at your Vegan roast with all the trimmings – really enjoyed it. Next up will try out the new pots black bean and tomato recipe … looks fab. I decided to go vegetarian about 14 months ago – and whilst I’m no gourmet cook your recipes are great tasting and straightforward to follow – so thank you 🙏
February 17, 2022 at 8:56 pm
Thanks nigel, it’s wonderfull to hear you’re enjoying the site and recipes!
March 29, 2022 at 8:24 pm
I’ve just found your website and looking for ward to trying th chilli recipes
March 30, 2022 at 9:15 am
Amazing Bernie, I hope you enjoy the recipes!
July 24, 2022 at 7:45 am
Hi Hugo, I’ve just found your page and your recipes look delicious.
My first recipe to try is the 3 bean chilli.
Question – can I make it without the chocolate powder?
July 24, 2022 at 7:46 am
Yes, it should work without the chocolate powder, the flavour won’t be quite as rich, but hopefully, it still should taste great!
July 28, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Well I cooked your 3 bean chilli Hugo tonight and we really liked it – nice one – thank you 🙏
October 8, 2022 at 8:19 pm
Tried the lovely three bean chilli, really enjoyed it, will make it again.
October 22, 2022 at 8:28 am
October 15, 2022 at 9:06 am
Absolutely gorgeous! Never made a chilli before it was so easy so yummy. I will do this again. Thanks for sharing.
October 22, 2022 at 8:24 am