This dairy free, creamy mac and cheese is thanks to a cunning combination of blended swede and cashew. It’s probably the best swede recipe I’ve tasted…!
Swede (or rutabaga as our American cousins call it) is one of those autumn/winter vegetables many people seem to struggle with. What to do with it? Boil it, roast it, puree it? It’s an enigma.
Fear not, I’m here to provide the tastiest swede recipe of them all. This creamy mock mac recipe. The blended swede is the key to this dish. It provides a wonderful smooth “cheesy” sauce for the pasta. If you’re looking for more tasty swede recipes, be sure to check out a list of my favourite swede recipes.
When To Eat
Swede is in season throughout autumn and winter in the UK. To enjoy this dish to the fullest, cook from October to February. Outside of these months you can switch out the swede for summer squash.
Creamy Swede Vegan Mac And Cheese
This meal is around 85% less polluting than the average UK meal.
Eating this recipe will save around 2.51 KG CO2e per person.
That’s equivalent to the emissions produced driving 20.71 KM in a modern car.How do I calculate this?
- 6 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Teaspoons Miso Paste
- 1/2 Teaspoon White Pepper
- 2 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 200 g Cashews (soaked overnight, or alternatively soak for 30mins in freshly boiled water.)
- 1 Medium (around 700g) Swede (peeled and cubed)
- 2 Medium Onion (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (roughly chopped)
- 2 Slices White Bread
- 800 g Small Pasta
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 100 ml Water
- Preheat your oven to 200˚c.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and tip in the pasta. Boil for around 1/2 the recommended time on labelled on the packet, until the pasta begins to soften but still has a lot of bite. This normally takes about 3 minutes. Drain the pasta and leave to rest until needed.
- Place the soaked cashews into a high speed blender with the 100ml of water. Blitz until the cashews are smooth and creamy.
- Place the cubed swede, onion and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water. Salt heavily, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the swede is soft.
- Once the swede is cooked, drain the vegetables and tip then into the blender with the cashews. Sprinkle in the nutritional yeast, white pepper, mustard and miso paste. Whiz the vegetable mixture until smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides of the blender to make sure everything mixes well.
- Place the slices of bread in a toaster and cook until golden brown. Place in a small blender and whiz into rough breadcrumbs.
- Combine the blended swede and pasta in a large oven safe pan. Top with the breadcrumbs and drizzle with the vegetable oil. Sprinkle a little kosher salt over the breadcrumbs. Then place in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes until the top of the mac and cheese is nicely browned.
- Serve immediately with seasonal veggies.