Fully Loaded Vegan Oven Chips
Upgrade your oven chip game with these decadent and delicious loaded fries. Crispy and greasy oven chips topped with smoky chilli and finished with lashings of vegan sour cream and cheese – you can’t get much better than this.
Oven chips are some of my favourite comfort foods. Not only are they delightfully easy to make, but they taste amazing. These loaded fries are reserved for when even plain oven chips can’t satisfy my cravings. They are, without a doubt, quite indulgent. There’s something animalistic about loading up a tray of these dirty fries. It’s like you’re preparing a trough of decadent grease to gorge upon!
These wonderfully naughty chips are devised of a eclectic mix of ingredients. First there are, of course, the chips. Crafted at home using only the finest potatoes! I prefer to leave the skin on to give a more rustic chip. I love a good salty potato skin. Then, ladled on top of our homemade fries, goes a silky and smoky chilli. This chilli is bolstered with red kidney beans and black beans, a truly winning combo of beans.
After the chilli goes our garnish. The star of the show is the quick pickled cabbage which is tart, lemony and crunchy. Don’t enjoy your fries without it! Sprinkled over the cabbage goes a glorious smattering of spring onions and coriander. A welcome addition of greenery to the reds, purples and yellows of the dish.
Finally we top or loaded chips with a splattering of vegan sour cream, and a generous handful of grated vegan cheese. Our masterpiece is complete and ready to enjoy. Just make sure that you have copious amounts of napkins and/or paper towels on hand – eating this thing gets messy!
Other loaded chips ideas
- Dirty fries in a bolognese sauce – Loaded fries topped with a hearty and delicious vegan bolognese sauce. Simple, yet divine.
- Cheesy chips with kale – Oven chips with a generous slathering of homemade vegan cheese. Mix with some freshly steamed curly kale. The kale adds an irony freshness to the rich cheese and chip combo. Plus you can make out that it’s somewhat “healthy”…
- Gravy and mushroom chips – Pan fry some chestnut mushrooms in white wine and soy sauce. Toss with some oven chips and coat with some luxurious homemade gravy.
If you like this you’ll love
Fully Loaded Oven Chips
This meal is around 93% less polluting than the average UK meal.
Eating this recipe will save around 2.73 KG CO2e per person.
That’s equivalent to the emissions produced driving 22.59 KM in a modern car.How do I calculate this?
- 1.2 kg Homemade Oven Chips
- 2 Cans Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 Teaspoons Chipotle Chilli Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Can Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Quick Pickled Cabbage
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 150 g Red Cabbage (finely shredded)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 30 g Vegan Cheese (grated)
- 4 Spring Onions (finely sliced)
- 15 g Coriander (roughly chopped)
- 30 g Sour Cream (homemade or storebought)
- First make your oven chips. You can either use my recipe for the best homemade oven chips (which I'd obviously recommend) or any store bought chips will work just fine. Whichever oven chips you choose make sure they're prepped and in the oven before starting on the chilli.
- Next make your chilli. Heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Toss in the 2 cloves of chopped garlic and fry for a minute until soft.
- Tip in the 2 teaspoons chipotle paste, 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika, 2 cans chopped tomatoes, can of red kidney beans and can of black beans. Stir to combine into an even sauce, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes until thickened and smooth.
- Whilst your chilli is cooking make the quick pickled red cabbage. Place the 150g of shredded red cabbage into a large bowl and cover with the juice from the lemon, 1 teaspoon of cumin powder and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Toss well to combine and then leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- After the cabbage has rested, squeeze the cabbage in your hands until it begins to soften. Once the cabbage is nicely tender, drain the moisture from the bowl and reserve prepared cabbage until needed.
- After your chilli and chips have finished cooking it's time to serve your loaded fries. Serve each dish with a good helping of oven chips followed by a generous slathering of smoky chilli. Garnish your chilli with the sliced spring onions and chopped coriander. Finish with a smattering of the sour cream and a handful of vegan cheese.